In the odyssey Odysseus has his men strap him to the mast of his ship as they approach the deadly sirens. The sirens are creatures know for their songs tempting sailors to destroy their ships on the rocks surrounding their island. It was this theme of temptation to danger that I built my latest project for my fashion portfolio. The location was an amazing and vintage styled motel on the north shore. The location lent itself to the ambiguous time period setting leading to certain wardrobe and styling decisions.
For this shoot I wanted to really challenge myself with both production and execution. Breaking into commercial photography requires an attention to detail and perpetration before the photographer even picks up the camera. From choosing the theme to picking models and getting wardrobe together it's a long process. The production of this shoot was done in partnership with another talented photographer Ashley hilgrath. I couldn't have done this shoot without her and her styling and wardrobe choices and styling eye. This process helped me to learn about all the moving pieces in such a complicated shoot.
Together we decided that we wanted to push the number of models in the shoot to four in order to replicate a level of complexity similar to images that make the cover of magizines like vogue and vanity fair. Over the weeks of preparation we pulled wardrobe and styling ideas. Through the power of social media and networking we were able to acquire the use of designer shoes and the usage of a 65 Buick riviera. Over all the shoot was a huge success.
I learned a lot about lighting on location as well as overseeing multitude models hair, makeup, wardrobe & posing. The dynamic of building a complex story also required building a narrative though the usage of props. I spent a day gathering props to go with my theme and serve as set pieces of the action.
From the starting point of the sirens of the odyssey I began to watch a large amount of Tarintino movies to give me the color and style of the photographic techqunies to use for the shoot.
The biggest problem of the shoot was the shear amount of images that I have to go through to pick out the best for the story. That process is ongoing and will continue for the next week. Please enjoy the following behind the scenes pictures from the shoot.
Thanks and please like, share & comment below and let me know how I did! Thanks and have a great day!